Lucille Ball lives on.
Someone once commented here that my life reminds them of Lucille Ball on I Love Lucy. I have to say, her comparison wasn't off by much because the thing is, discombobulated moments just seem to find me. Allow me to share the great poo bomb incident if you will.
We were at Denny's tonight for dinner. Sure, it's not Shea Chic or anything, but they do put the most delicious cherry tomatoes on their salads (much better than Cracker Barrel's), our kids like the pizza, and hey, kids eat free on Saturday nights. It's all good. Well,...was good.
Before I go on, let me just say that my kids love soy milk. If you've heard some negative things about soy, let me just say that it's important to know who is behind the message (about soy, politics, or anything else for that matter). I've done my research and feel confident that it is best for our family. It's kind of like HRT, where women need to educate themselves and then make the decision that's best for their own situation. 'Nuff said.
So, they drink soy with the exception of Brandon. His system is too sensitive to it and he ends up with too frequent bowel movements (Oh, stop your gagging. Everybody poops).
Don'tcha know it, I got up this morning and we were out of cow's milk for Brandon so I had to tap into the kids' soy milk for his cereal and a glass for lunch. I figured that small amount couldn't hurt. Famous last words. Back to Denny's.
We finished eating our meal and were on our way out of the restaurant. Carl led the way from the back of the restaurant where we had been seated, through the aisle between rows of tables to the front. Behind him went our three oldest, then Brandon (who was walking) and about 10 paces after him, me.
I thought I smelled, you know, something.
"Couldn't be," I pondered, thinking about the glass of soy he drank at lunch time.
And then......the unthinkable happened.
I saw mud bunnies running down the back of his leg. Lovely (NOT!)
And what happened next (because that wasn't bad enough) will forever redefine gross as we know it.
A huge biscuit plopped out of his shorts, right in the middle of the aisle.
People, I'm telling you he launched a poo bomb smack in the middle of Denny's.
A dining establishment.
At dinner time.
While people were eating.
I felt a surge of adrenaline as I RAN to him (noting that the mud bunny trail was dangerously close to filling his shoes), scooped him up by the arm pits, and sprinted past dh as I groaned, "Carl! He dropped a log in the middle of the aisle!"
The look on Carl's face had the makings of a credit card commercial and I'm sooo not kidding.
The cost of a gallon of gas? $3.65
Cost of family meal at Denny's on kids eat free night? $22
The look on a guys' face when his wife frantically tells him that their son just pinched one off in the middle of Denny's? PRICELESS.
As I continued my marathon for the door (not wanting a repeat occurrence and not wanting poo puddles in Brandon's shoes), Carl looked back and noted the sizeable log laying right in the middle of the aisle. Half way back. How to get a napkin and casually pick it up before anyone noticed? You tell me.
By this time I had made it outside, where another log fell smack in the middle of the rubber mat that rested in front of the entry door. No time to pick it up. Must change seriously pooped up baby. Only..........
Where exactly does one lay a pooped up baby in a Denny's parking lot? On the sidewalk? In the blacktop parking lot? Folks, options were few and, as things usually play out in my world, I had no keys to open the van where I could have laid him on the floor to work on the major clean up to follow.
So, out of options, I chose the sidewalk. I couldn't wait and if you had been there, I assure you, you would not have waited either. He was a drippy brown mess. I frantically opened the diaper bag and dug to the bottom for that dinky plastic changing pad that comes with diaper bags. That'll teach me not to check these things out in advance because...naturally...no changing pad available.
So I grabbed a change of clothes, diaper and the wipes.
And,...Oh, lookie here! Swell and dandy. My kid is pooped to the max and I have two, count e'm, TWO wipes in the bag. I quickly emptied the wipes bag so I could use the plastic as a changing pad on the sidewalk (which would be akin to trying to cover a semi truck with a cocktail napkin). I had no choice. I was so pathetic desperate that I just got down to business, knowing how entirely insane I appeared to every passing soul.
May I suggest to you that there are these little moments that come up in life where you just don't care? You just don't give an owl's hoot about what the other person is thinking because they're not standing in your shoes (or your kid's shoes that are about to be poo filled any second) and sheesh, you just need to get 'er done.
Well, Carl walked out just then, but it was simply too late to move the dirty job to the car. I had already removed Brandon's shorts and diaper, and was busy cleaning him up with my two miracle wipes. Towering over me, Carl's eyes met mine. He wore a look of stress and slight humiliation. I too was feeling the defeat when suddenly I did what any supportive and rational thinking wife would do.
I burst out laughing.
"My wife done lost her mind," was what I read next in his eyes.
"It's all going so status quo," I mused.
Which made me laugh even harder.
Within seconds, I could not see through the tears to have the slightest clue what his next expression was. That is, until I heard him join me in my crazed fit of laughter.
It happened.
It really, really happened.
Our kid dropped a poo bomb in the middle of Denny's and his momma proceeded to change him on the sidewalk in a moment of desperation.
I don't dare say "end of story" though, until I tell you what Carl endured in the moments that followed my frantic exodus. As he noted the poo in the middle of the aisle, he immediately scanned the establishment for a napkin. According to him, it would have been easy to "just scoop it up like a dog pile."
That is, had he been successful in his napkin hunt.
You don't think he actually found one though, do you?
Remember, Lucille Ball here and Ricky Carl was to have no such luck.
But he did find a substitute.
A children's menu.
Uh huh, swell.
He said that every time he tried to get under the log to scoop it up, it rolled away.
And so....there he was. Squatted down in the middle of Denny's, chasing after a run-away log in front of complete strangers.
All while trying to remain incognito.
Deflated by a moment so surreal, it felt like a slapstick comedy. Seems fitting that I really did love Lucy.
Sometimes folks, sometimes, all you can do is laugh.
"If you can't make it better, you can laugh at it."
-Erma Bombeck
Toni
39 comments:
I have to say my husband and I just sat here laughing so hard we couldn't read. I don't know when the two of us laughed so hard. Poo stories are only funny to little boys and parents of toddlers. That, sister, took the cake!!! Good Dad Carl!!!
Oh man oh man! My kids came running to see what I was laughing so hard at. Hey Tone, um remember the Bounty commercial with Rosie? It's the "Quicker Picker Upper". When you're down to two wipees you are supposed to rinse them out and re-use them!
Danny Boy
I'm laughing so hard my stomach hurts and I have tears in my eyes....oh my heavens...and many kudos to Carl!!
Hilarious! Totally the funniest parenting scenario EVER! I am so glad you could laugh in the moment :) Thanks for the amusing retelling of the latest adventure from your family.
~Rose
p.s. and thanks for the recent encouraging comments on my little blog :) You are so sweet and I like readying your comments.
OK Toni, I don't have your new phone number, which I'm slightly miffed at, because, Sister, I am dying to talk to you and tell you how ABSOLUTELY AND TOTALLY HILARIOUS THIS IS!!!! Rog and I cannot stop laughing!!!! You weren't kidding when you said to read your blog today, were you? And I'm sure Rog can't wait to bring this up to Carl. I'm sure he's going to love that. How is this for reals??? And why didn't you have your camera to document this stellar moment and make a scrapbooking page from it??? Maybe you should try to recreate it??? You know I'm kidding! Seriously, call or email me with your number, Sister! And I'm so glad this first week of school went well. I want to hear about it!
As I write this, Miss Sniz is contributing her response. Hearing her laugh as she read this forced me to take a break from looking at the Colts game to see what it was all about. This story is a classic. It's just too bad that you two will probably never wish to show your face at that Denny's again.
Been there girl! I feel your pain. We had a pooscapade at LaRosa's pizza. We have a vomit adventure at Johnny Rocket's. Luckily for that fun time I truly saw my child turn green just like a cartoon and rushed her to the bathroom like I was scoring the winning touch down!
You and Carl are winning the Parent's of the Day award!! Here's hoping tonight's Denny's night to have their carpets steamed ;)
Well, Toni. I don't know what to say. But that's good because I'm laughing so hard, I couldn't talk right now if I had to.
This is the worst poo story I've ever heard. I cannot imagine what the other people in that restaurant must have thought, but I'll bet they laughed too because this is just too unbelievable to be anything but hysterical.
It was the two wipes that did me in. What a joke, two wipes for a monumental job like that.
Thanks for making my night a whole lot lighter. LOL
Kyle and I are CRACKING up! I read it out loud to him and was laughing so hard I could hardly get through it. You are a HOOT my friend!
That was so funny! I can just imagine the scene! JuJu
Oh my word!! I laughed my head off at this!!! You need to publish this story in a parenting magazine!!!! And two wipes?? You poor thing!! So you didn't tell us what happened afterward...did you go back into Denny's???
That is the funniest thing I've read all year. OMG. I'm so linking to this. You have my complete sympathy. And thanks for telling the tale so I could get a good hearty laugh this morning.
I agree... absolutely the best poo story I have read!
Peace,
:)De
Oh my gosh. That was too funny. And it really hit home because this just happened to us at the zoo two weeks ago. I did have about 5 wipes so I was a little better off than you.
Amazingly, I managed to keep myself in check until I got to the part where Carl was trying to scoop up the elusive and runaway pooh with a child's menu, at which point I spewed my drink out over the keyboard in laughter!
You have no idea how badly I needed a laugh today! I hope it's okay with you, but I linked to your post on my blog. :o)
Oh Toni! That was hilarious! Girl, you should write a book!
Pone....realized I butchered a couple words in the first post an deleted it so people did not scratch their head and say "WHAT?" lol.
Great story about the bomber. He'll be much better off in life eating well. I can honestly say I've eaten at a couple places I would have not mined leaving a log at the door after I left because of bad food or service. So give him an atta boy from me.
Went to the cardiologist today and all seems well. He put me on Lipitor and Nitro glycerin in case I would ever need it. He asked about the stress and I said there are really only 3 things that set it off. Frankie, Palin and McCain. Had to explain Frankie and he really laughed, also said he understood all 3. He said watch less news and avoid what I can. He's a geat doctor, the same one dad has so I trust his judgement.
I'll be setting up the cemetary in a few weeks for Holloween. I'll take pictures and try to get Cheese in one. Love and miss you guys.
Scot
Oh my goodness that is the funniest thing I have read in a LONG time! Thanks for the laugh before bed!
Coming from Donna's Just Me blog, your story is hilarious!
It does seem like a spot from a situational comedy. Just love it, though I wouldn't want to be in either of your shoes... ran-away log... it's a hoot!
Oh Toni, that was so funny. You have such a gift of story telling.
Thanks for the giggles tonight.
Sniz sent us over, guaranteeing a good laugh...oh man! You did not disappoint. :)
How funny!
O.K. It's official. My life WAS as crazy as yours, but you now officially win!!! Oh, Toni. It wasn't as easy to laugh as I thought it would be. Bless your kind, tenderhearted, Momma's heart! I've missed you. I try to stop by occasionally, but on this one I just HAD to comment. Lucille had nothing on you Girl! :)
Toni Toni Toni....
in your honor, I had to go and google Food court the Musical...
can I get a napkin please?!?!?
-crystal
Oh my gracious, is that ever FUNNY, and AWFUL and gross. : )
I'm glad you laughed. It was just too awful not to. Thanks for the laughs today. You are sweet (brave) to share you funny mishaps with all of us! : )
Oh my goodness...My kids and I are still laughing like crazy. Thanks for sharing this story. You're right, all you can do is laugh.
What a story to tell him when he's older, hahahaha.
There are no words to describe how great this post is. Thanks - we all needed this!
That is the FUNNIEST thing I've read in a long, long time! As a mother, I can totally empathize with you -- Thanks for the laugh, and God bless!
No words -- just side-aching laughter here. You know, when these things happen you can also comfort yourself with the thought, "This is gonna make a GREAT blog post..."
Now, that was funny.
But who went back and got the one on the entry mat?????
I am SO distressed over that unanswered question!
LOL!
Traci
That is SO funny, and yet...not. I would have wanted to sink into the ground. But glad you survived and were able to laugh about it!
i needed a good laugh today and comfy denim sent me this link to your spot. i think i was about to *roll along the carpet* after reading this one. you are an awesome writer and i loved this post! hilarious.
Oh my heart I am cracking up over here! HOw utterly embarrassing! We had an incident similar to that where Dakota violently threw up at a Cracker BArrel in the aisle on his way to the bathroom right between two rows of tables - so awful. Your story telling is wonderful and the fact that you two could laugh about this incident is just wonderful!
This story will live on....and your kiddo will hear about it and laugh....and you will laugh again! So funny!!
Oh my goodness, I laughed so hard I cried!! This was just too funny! You are an awesome story-teller.
I'm not really sure that I know how I got to your post, but thank you for such a wonderful story..you brightened my night...You really should write books,you will probably have enough info for one! I am going to "bookmark" your blog! Even if I don't know you!
Oh that was just too funny! The image I have of all you and the turd in the middle of the restaurant is just beyond words. Talk about having everything going wrong at once! Thanks for the laugh.
Post a Comment