Not so bright an idea
A few days ago, we decided to explore the bike trail that connects all the local parks in a nearby town. We parked our van at one end and began what was a most relaxing walk.
I'd love to tell you it was all beautiful too. And in truth, parts of the trail were beautiful. Many large trees held majestic positions along one side of the path and we even encountered an interesting new plant which we never saw in Ohio (looks just like mini bamboo). Anyone?
(update: plant has been identified as an asparagus-like "horsetail" known as Equisetum hyemale)
But (sigh), as we walked along, I also noted a gentle flutter in my ear and recognized it as a long silenced voice of childhood. It was, in fact, Bambi. I could see him in the scene where he was drinking from a stream when suddenly all the garbage floated by (remember that one?), his mother stating with concerned tone, "Man is in the forest."
Well, the same rang true for me as the trail wound behind the back lot of our local energy company.
Ugh!
It was SUCH an eye sore.
Rusted metals in the form of boxcars and 50 gallon drums.
Old, broken concrete.
Weeds galore.
Ironically, there was a chain link fence seperating the eye sore from the open stretch of land that hugged the bike path on one side. Growing in that patch was the most beautiful wheat. Bread of life! Our kids are really excited about learning which foods come straight from God's hand to our mouths, so they couldn't resist plucking a bunch to carry with them as our walk continued.
Well, before we knew it, we had walked all the way to the first park, some 2.25 miles from our starting point.
Walked.
All six of us.
That's 10 legs.
Uh huh, is too (Brandon was in his stroller so his 2 legs don't count).
Now why we felt it was a good idea to deplete every ounce of potassium from our kids' sweet little bodies, I can't say. I will note that 4½ miles round-trip is a l.o.n.g. walk for 5 and 6 year old legs. So, how did they make it?
1) a mandatory 5 minute break on our heinies (literally, on the side of the path)
2) they took turns riding in the extra seat on the double stroller.
Of course, Olivia was too big for the stroller so she just moaned and groaned her way back to the van. Uh, yeah, we obliged her.
And while tired, the kids perked up right nice when their daddy bought them a milkshake from Hardees. And we got such terrific counter service from a young girl who worked there. Having strong ties to customer service in the airline industry, I am keenly aware of both excellent and poor customer service. I was impressed with this young girl. She listened as the littles fought over which flavor they wanted (they were going to split a milkshake as they only came in one size; tub-o-shake).
"Straw-bay-wee!"
"NO! Choc-litt."
"I said STRAW-BAY-WEE!"
"I. SAID. CHOC-LITT!"
(enter dad) "Fine, you can't agree?"
(turns to counter girl)
"We'll take vanilla."
Only, when she made the shakes, she took the time and effort to make half a strawberry shake and half a chocolate shake. Isn't she awesome? We thought so.
Now, what day of torturous vigorous walking would be complete without a bit of fun back at the ranch (we don't live in a ranch, btw). My kids have always loved a little game I play with them where I lie on my Scoliosis ridden back (brilliant, I know), then give them a ride on my feet. Olivia is waaaaay too heavy for this game anymore and Brandon has just recently been introduced. Reece, however, still LOVES it.
So, supine I went as he laid his chest across my feet, grasping my hands for balance.
Let the ride begin!
I pushed him up, then down, twisted him side to side.
Over
and over
and over
and...
"No wonder he loves it. It's just like some kind of rollercoaster ride, "noted Carl.
Yeah, well. Thanks for the note, dear hubs, because not one millisecond later.... YAK!
Yack, yak, yak!
Reece pulled a classic amusement ride move on me, literally *ON* me, and yakked all over my chest.
Then laughed.
Hard.
At his yakked up momma.
Who was gagging.
A lot!
If I get any more bright ideas and I happen to share them with you, please don't hesitate to tell me. Because after all, did I tell you about the time I broke my younger brother's arm while giving him the very same back ride as a kid?
'Nuff said.
Toni


9 comments:
Oh my word, you crack me up, Toni! Our little baby spit up in her dad's eye one time. I can't believe I ever recovered from that laughing fit. However, breast milk baby spit, and yak from an older child...much different. Icky!!!!!
Girl, your glass really is half full! I am impressed that you write with humor about a yakking episode. I'd be in the shower trying my darndest to forget about the whole incident.
Well, the counter girl was fantastic. The yakking is another story. ;-)
Seemed like fun at the time...
Now THAT is a mental picture! I am laughing SO hard! With you of course, not AT you...ahem.
My kids love that "ride" as well. It is so hard when they get too big (or I have gotten to weak?) to do it anymore. They of course forget that they ever got to do it and complain that the little ones have all the fun. Oh well.
I am proud of y'all for that 4 1/2 mile trek! We did a similar thing in DC one year...but it was because we were looking for a restaurant and had NO idea where we were going. Let me just say that the place we finally found had the BEST guacamole I have ever tasted. And I am from Texas. I should know. It was awesome.
Ok now I am hungry.
Too funny. But it sounds like a wonderful day. I'll bet your kids slept well that night.
When I was 6, I got a "ride" like that from one of my brother's friends. He launched me into the air and I landed on top of my left arm--BROKEN!
Where you been, my sister? And more importantly, did you get to the paper store on your visit????
hahahahaha...still laughing here...I used to play that game with my mom when I was little, and I played it with my kids, (now 15 & 13). Thankfully, there are no yakking stories in those memories. I hope you have recovered. Maybe it's time daddy took over that job, hehe.
Post a Comment