Monday, December 8, 2008

A delightful Christmas treat!


The combination of tart and sweet is wonderful. Plus, they POP in your mouth when you bite into them. And they make a gorgeous presentation.

One important note: These do NOT taste like the final treat when they are first sugar coated, so DON'T sample them until they have been coated in the sugar and sat for an hour or more. Enjoy!

Ingredients
2 cups granulated sugar
2 cups water
2 cups fresh cranberries
3/4 cup superfine sugar
Preparation

Combine granulated sugar and water in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring mixture until sugar dissolves. Bring to a simmer; remove from heat. (Do not boil or the cranberries may pop when added.) Stir in cranberries; pour mixture into a bowl. Cover and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.

Drain cranberries in a colander over a bowl, reserving steeping liquid, if desired. Place superfine sugar in a shallow dish. Add the cranberries, rolling to coat with sugar. Spread sugared cranberries in a single layer on a baking sheet; let stand at room temperature 1 hour or until dry.

Note: The steeping liquid clings to the berries and helps the sugar adhere. Store in an airtight container in a cool place for up to a week.


Toni

myspace layouts, myspace codes, glitter graphics

7 comments:

Mommy to those Special Ks said...

These sound awesome! I can't wait to try them!

Donna. W said...

I'll bet I'd love those. But I don't need them!

Becky said...

They look beautiful and I bet they taste great too!

Wani said...

How yummy do those look!?!

jan said...

These sound tooooo good! We'll have to try making them. They're so pretty too. :-)

Anonymous said...

So are you saying that the cranberries taste sweet and not sour-cranberry-flavored when they are done? Is that a photo of your presentation? Wow. This looks incredible!

Unknown said...

Ah, those do look yummy!